By law, stray animals must be returned directly to their owner or go to a Council pound.
If you find a stray dog or cat, your first step should be to phone your local municipal animal shelter, and if possible, take the animal directly to the local animal shelter.
Injured stray animals
Injured stray animals (dogs and cats) needing medical attention can be brought to the Macarthur Veterinary Group clinic in the area where the animal was found.
Please phone the clinic to advise us you are bringing the animal in for treatment. On arrival, you will be asked to complete and sign a form (surrendering the animal to the local pound), at which point the animal will be scanned for a microchip and first aid given following animal welfare guidelines and our own Standards of Care. Particularly if the injuries are serious, we will try to find and contact the dog/cat’s owner, as well as notifying the local pound.
- Legally we are not allowed to scan a stray animal for a microchip until the surrender form has been signed, and cannot then return the animal to the person who has brought it in.
- We cannot normally accept UNINJURED strays. These should be taken directly to the local pound wherever possible.
(NOTE: The boundary between Campbelltown City Council and Camden Council is the M5).
Animals found in the Campbelltown area should be taken to:
Campbelltown Animal Care Facility
Rose Street (off Blaxland Road), Campbelltown.
Phone: 4628 3044
Monday – 9:00am-3:30pm
Tuesday – Friday, 9:00am – 3:00pm and
Saturday – 9:00am-12:00 noon
Closed on Sundays and public holidays.
- If transporting the animal is an issue, contact the Campbelltown Animal Care Facility during their business hours to arrange collection of the animal.
- If the Campbelltown pound is closed, hold on to the animal and contact the Campbelltown Animal Care Facility the next day. If it’s an emergency, you can phone their emergency service on 9963 1621.
Animals found in the Camden Council area should be taken to:
Rossmore Vet Hospital
651 Bringelly Road, Rossmore
Phone: 02 9606 6984
Monday – Friday, 8:00am to 7:30pm
Saturday – Sunday, 9:00am to 5:00pm.
- If transporting the animal is an issue, contact the Camden City Council on 02 4654 7777 during business hours to arrange collection of the animal.
- If the Council or Rossmore Vet Hospital are closed, you can hold on to the animal and contact Camden Council the next day.
Animals found in the Wollondilly Council area should be taken to:
Wollondilly’s Animal Shelter
Wonga Road, Picton.
Phone: 02 4677 1144.
Monday – Friday, 3.00pm to 4.30pm
Saturdays – Sundays, 10am to 1pm
- If transporting the animal is an issue, contact the Wollondilly Council on 02 4677 1144 during business hours to arrange collection of the animal. Alternatively, you can take the animal directly to the animal shelter.
- If the Council or animal shelter are closed, hold on to the animal and contact Wollondilly Council the next day. If it’s an emergency, you can phone their emergency service on 9963 1621.
By Macarthur Veterinary Group